Friday, August 29, 2014

Prints

Thanks to Susan Ukkola's print making workshop, I learned all kinds of new techniques. The three day course was focused on mono-prints, which means printing a unique image every time. During the workshop we used with non-toxic materials and we drew on alluminum plates and plexiglass. We also worked on 'chine colle', a printing technique that enables you to glue paper and fabric and print over it. I have been experimenting at home.

The series I am beginning will fall under the theme bruised, as a reminder that vulnerability is what allows me to be sensitive, compassionate, and human. I am convinced that allowing vulnerability makes me stronger, more resilient, more adaptable and gives me a sensitivity that would be otherwise masked. The images I am using were taken from a large bandage I saw at St. John's Ambulance, where I took a first aid course. The original bandage was designed by Friedrich von Esmarch, a university surgeon and medicine professor at Kiel, Germany, in 1870. He designed triangular bandages with the procedures printed, and  he called it 'battlefield medicine'. In his honour they are called the Esmarch bandages.  The images show men wearing suits and ties whilst displaying how bandages should be tied when injured.

These images of bandaged people make me think of how I put up an armour (or a suit) when trying to conceal my tender side. I want this work to represent my struggle to allow vulnerability: fully dressed and impecable yet bruised. Here is a sample of the bandages I am using, and a first image of my monoprint experiments.


Image from an Esmarch bandage


One of my prints using images from the Esmarch bandage

No comments:

Post a Comment